Dental fillings are a fundamental aspect of restorative dentistry, used to repair teeth damaged by decay. At Tolland Hill Family Dental, we specialize in tooth-colored composite resin fillings, offering a more aesthetically pleasing and health-conscious alternative to traditional amalgam fillings.
Tooth-Colored Composite Fillings
Our composite fillings are made from a mixture of powdered glass and acrylic resin, presenting several advantages:
- Aesthetic Appeal: Can be shaded to match the color of your existing teeth, rendering them virtually invisible.
- Safety and Comfort: Free from mercury, which is a concern for some patients with amalgam fillings.
- Preservation of Tooth Structure: Often requires less removal of tooth structure compared to amalgam fillings.
The Dental Filling Procedure
Getting a dental filling at Tolland Hill Family Dental involves a few key steps:
- Numbing: Local anesthesia is administered to ensure comfort, especially for deeper cavities.
- Decay Removal: Decay is removed using precise dental instruments, preserving as much healthy tooth structure as possible.
- Tooth Preparation: The tooth is etched and a bonding agent is applied to enhance the adherence of the composite material.
- Filling Application: The composite resin is carefully placed, shaped, and then hardened with a special curing light.
- Bite Adjustment and Polishing: The filling is adjusted to ensure a comfortable bite and polished for a smooth finish.
After Your White Dental Filling
Post-treatment care is important for the longevity of your filling:
- Sensitivity: Some sensitivity to pressure, temperature, or air is normal and usually subsides.
- Bite Adjustment: If your bite feels uneven, we can quickly adjust the filling for comfort.
- Healing Time: The tooth may need some time to recover, especially if the decay was extensive.
Why Choose Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings, beyond their aesthetic appeal, align perfectly with modern dental practices focused on conserving as much of the natural tooth structure as possible. Unlike amalgam fillings, which often require the removal of a significant portion of the tooth, composite materials bond directly to the tooth. This bonding capability enables a more conservative approach to cavity preparation, preserving the strength and integrity of the natural tooth.
Additionally, the composition of these fillings offers distinct advantages over traditional amalgam. Composite fillings are mercury-free, addressing health concerns some patients may have about amalgam fillings, which contain a mixture of metals, including mercury. The biocompatible nature of composite resin ensures that our fillings are not only safe but also stable over time, with less likelihood of causing tooth fracture or sensitivity.
Moreover, the thermal expansion properties of composite fillings are more closely matched to natural tooth structures compared to amalgam. This similarity reduces the risk of fillings causing cracks or gaps in the tooth over time due to temperature changes, a common issue with metal fillings.
Schedule Your Dental Filling Appointment in Tolland
If you suspect you have a cavity or need a filling replaced, contact Tolland Hill Family Dental today to schedule an appointment. Our team is committed to providing you with the highest quality dental care, ensuring your fillings are not only functional but also aesthetically pleasing. Let us help you maintain a healthy and beautiful smile with our advanced composite resin fillings.